Guarana is a natural source of caffeine that has become increasingly popular among those looking for an extra energy boost. It can be found in many energy drinks and supplements, making it a great choice for those who need to stay energized throughout the day. But how much caffeine is actually in guarana? Is it safe? Keep reading to find out!
What is Guarana?
Guarana is an Amazonian plant native to Brazil. Its seeds contain caffeine and other compounds that may provide health benefits. It is commonly used as a dietary supplement or an ingredient in energy drinks and other beverages. Guarana has been used in traditional medicine for centuries to treat various conditions. It is believed to improve mental alertness and physical performance, reduce appetite, and boost the immune system.
Guarana Caffeine Content
In general, 1 gram of guarana seeds contains 47 mg of caffeine since the caffeine content of these seeds is between 3.6% and 5.8%, with an average of 4.7%. This is near twice the amount of caffeine found in coffee beans.
The caffeine in guarana is released slowly into the bloodstream, providing a steady and sustainable energy boost. This is one reason guarana is a popular supplement for athletes. The caffeine content of guarana can vary from batch to batch, so it is important to check the label for the exact amount before taking it.
Guarana in Energy Drinks
Guarana is a popular additive found in many energy drinks on the market today. Popular brands such as Monster Energy, Rockstar Energy, 5 Hour Energy, and NOS Energy all contain guarana, but the amount is unknown.
Guarana Antarctica is a Brazilian soft drink that has become increasingly popular recently. The soda has a caramel color and is known for its sweet taste explosion with apple and berry notes and guarana extract. It’s often referred to as ‘Brazilian champagne’ due to its unique flavor profile.
Guarana Antarctica contains 30 mg of caffeine per 12 oz can, which is slightly less than the caffeine in Coca-Cola (34 mg). This beverage has a lower sugar content than most soft drinks, with 36 grams as opposed to 39 grams in a can of Coca-Cola. Despite this, the caloric content of one can is still around the same as a can of regular Coke, at 140 kcals.
Guarana extract is a concentrated form of caffeine derived from the processing of guarana seeds. This method of extraction intensifies the caffeine content in comparison to when using whole or ground guarana seeds, which is why it is often utilized in guarana supplements.
|Guarana Type||Product||Caffeine (mg)|
|Extract||Guarana Energizer||200 mg per tablet|
|Seed||KAL Guarana||28 mg per tablet|
|Seed||Swanson Guarana||30 mg per capsule|
|Extract||GNC Guarana||90 mg per capsule|
|Extract||Gaurana Max||200 mg per 2 capsules|
Dangers of Guarana
When it comes to guarana, the biggest danger is related to caffeine overdose. Drinking too much can cause symptoms like rapid heart rate, nausea, vomiting, jitteriness, and insomnia. It can also interact with certain medications, so it’s important to check with your doctor before taking guarana.
Another potential danger of guarana is it can increase blood pressure. People with high blood pressure should avoid guarana, as it could worsen their condition.
It is advisable not to go over 400 milligrams of caffeine per day, as suggested by the FDA. Guarana has a high caffeine content, so having more than the recommended amount could lead to adverse reactions. To remain safe, it is best to stay within the recommended daily limit of caffeine when consuming guarana or other caffeinated products.
Benefits of Guarana
1. Increased Energy: Guarana has been used for centuries to increase energy because it contains a high amount of caffeine, a natural stimulant.
2. Enhanced Cognitive Function: Guarana can help to improve cognitive function, which can be beneficial for those who need to stay sharp and focused. It can help to improve memory, decision-making, and problem-solving.
3. Improved Physical Performance: Guarana has been used to improve physical performance and endurance. This can benefit athletes and those who need to perform at peak levels.
4. Antioxidant and Anti-inflammatory Properties: Guarana can help protect against cellular damage and the development of chronic diseases. It can also help to reduce inflammation and protect the heart, as well as improve blood sugar levels.
5. Weight Loss: Guarana is effective in helping to regulate appetite and reduce cravings, making it beneficial for people trying to lose weight.