The Bicerin coffee is a classic Turin concoction invented over 250 years ago. Though the recipe has been kept secret since then, thanks to research from locals in Turin, we can craft our version that mimics the original taste as closely as possible.
We are sharing this recipe so you can craft an authentic sip of Turin culture in your kitchen – no theft required! You can experience true Italian history without leaving home with just a few steps.
What is a Bicerin?
A bicerin is a traditional beverage from Turin, Italy, that consists of three layers: coffee, chocolate, and frothed milk. Making an authentic bicerin requires the freshest and highest quality ingredients and patience to layering the drink correctly. This way, you have all three distinct flavors – coffee bitterness, chocolate sweetness, and richness of milk – in harmony with one another! Making a perfect cup of bicerin requires skill and practice, but it can be done!
How Do You Pronounce Bicerin?
Pronouncing bicerin correctly requires knowledge of Italian pronunciation. In Italian, a c followed by e is pronounced “ch,” so the correct pronunciation of Bicerin is “bee-cherr-een”; i is pronounced “ee. The origin of its name remains a mystery, but it is believed to be derived from an early dialect of the Piedmont region.
Because each element of this flavorful Italian treat is essential to its character, saying its name with proper linguistic flair can add authenticity to any conversation about this renowned drink.
BICERIN COFFEE RECIPE
- 1 wine glass (10-12 ounces)
- Milk frother
- Small saucepan
- 1 tsp dark cocoa powder
- 2 oz espresso
- 2 oz dark chocolate
- 2 oz heavy whipping cream
- milk for the hot chocolate and froth layer
- Add the chocolate, cocoa, cream, and milk in a small saucepan and heat over low heat.
- Whisk the mixture until it is blended and thickened. Take it off the heat when it's done.
- Make sure to brew your espresso, so it is done when the hot chocolate is finished.
- Froth the milk.
- Pour the espresso into the wine glass.
- Pour the hot chocolate slowly onto the side of the glass, using a spoon as a guide, for a more visually appealing drink.
- Gently pour the frothed milk into the glass and serve!
Does Bicerin Have Alcohol in it?
No, Bicerin does not contain alcohol. Bicerin is made from espresso, chocolate, and whole milk.